Blue University (or, Blue U) was created in 2015 by Kimley-Horn and 12 other professional service firms that are working on the Blue Line Light Rail Transit (BLRT) Extension project. The BLRT Extension corridor will serve the communities of Minneapolis, Robbinsdale, Crystal, New Hope, Golden Valley, and Brooklyn Park. In early stages of the project, the team saw an opportunity to deliver more than just the technical requirements of constructing a new LRT line.
With more than 20 public elementary, middle, and high schools within 1-mile of the new corridor, the team saw a unique opportunity to partner with schools along the corridor to educate students about careers in architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industries and how science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) concepts apply in the real world.
The result was Blue U—experienced professionals engaging with schools to help inspire future transit planners, engineers, architects, and construction professionals in Minnesota.
Blue U will partner with schools and communities along the BLRT Extension corridor and invest in education to help build future transit planners, engineers, architects, and construction staff in Minnesota.
Show students how STEM subjects relate to jobs in AEC industries to inspire a future generation of infrastructure innovators
Partner with schools and communities along the corridor through the planning, design, and construction of the BLRT project
Provide information about and generate excitement for the construction of the new BLRT line in students’ communities and demonstrate how BLRT will positively impact their everyday lives
Click Below to View Past Blue U Events:
- 1/5/18 – Maranatha Christian Academy, Shark Tank Judges February 6, 2018
- 12/8/17 – Cooper Robbinsdale High School, Revit Design February 6, 2018
- 12/7/17 – University of St. Thomas, Junior Level Engineering Course February 6, 2018
- 11/21/17 – MCTC, 2030 Challenge February 6, 2018
- 11/17/17 – University St. Thomas, Graduate Level Engineering Class February 6, 2018
- 09/18/17 – Rail-Volution Conference Presentation November 1, 2017
- 08/24/17 – STEM Day at the Minnesota State Fair October 31, 2017
- 08/15/17 – New Hope Summer Safety Camp October 31, 2017
- 07/14/17 – Saint Paul Summer Safety Camp October 31, 2017
- 05/12/17 – Twin Cities, STEMLink May 16, 2017